Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Holiday Will Power Weakness

It’s Christmas time

There are treats around…..all around!

I’ve been very good, passing by cookie trays, turning down fried foods on the holiday buffet, skipping the dips and sauces at parties…..EXCEPT for this morning. This morning, my will power flew out the window.

I got up at 5:30. This is a little earlier because there’s still snow all over the place, and while the roads are generally clear, I have yet to dig my car out and have refused to move it until I absolutely have to. So I put on my snow gear (including my mega boots I bought for my Antarctica trip) and walked to the gym, did spin class, walked home and had my normal egg white breakfast. Yum! I walked to work, and shortly after my arrival, someone announced that they’d brought in bags of Micky D’s sandwiches.

The Egg McMuffin and I have a very special relationship. I love it and will someday marry it, and frankly, of all the Micky D’s b-fasts, it’s one of the better ones for you. Lots of carbs, but half the fat of most of their sandwiches.

So I ate one.

I was feeling a little full, but felt satisfied and said that would be my morning snack, would delay lunch a little.


Then they started talking about the treats.

There were cookies and brownies on the desk 4 over from mine, and people were stopping by, and talking about them and eating them.

Non-stop.

I tried to resist. I sat on my bouncy-ball chair drinking my water and thinking about my beloved Egg McMuffin….but nothing could erase the sounds of people enjoying the brownies.

I love brownies. I really love brownies.

Finally, I couldn’t resist any more. I went over to check out the brownies…but they weren’t just brownies. They were brownies in cupcake form, probably twice the size of normal brownies, but just as fudgy as a “real” brownie, and they had chocolate chips in them. I love chocolate chips in my brownies.

And so I grabbed one.

And I ate it.

I ate the whole thing, and it was delicious. I had brownie crumbs all over my fingers and my face. It was on my teeth, and sticking to the roof of my mouth. And it was glorious!

And then, I started to feel like crap.

When I walked by the brownies a few minutes later, they were gone. Had I waited just three more minutes, I would have averted this stomach ache, but I didn’t. In fact, while I was there, lamenting my piggitry, I grabbed a cookie off the plate next to the empty brownie tray and ate it.

And now, I really feel like crap.

I'm never eating again!

No comments:

Post a Comment