Saturday, July 11, 2009

Much needed day of rest

Hello friendly followers-

Quick catch up. We've been without easy internet access and without the time to spend on the not easy internet access so I've caught up this blog when I can. The ong and the short of it is we've been gong hard since we got here (aside from the 8 hours in the Kuwait airport) and not sleeping a lot. I've felt remarkably good (probably the good eating and exercise) and it's been absolutely amazing so far. We had quite an adventure n the Chinook last night, stopping and going and squeezing in for a 3-4 hour ride (which is a long time in a helicopter!) We didn't get to our "home" until about 4:30am, the sun was coming up and we had to wait for the truck with our luggage to get there to unload before we hit the rack. The good news is, we have no races or concerts today and no meet and greets so it's totally a day of rest. So we hung out in the yard of our villa and laughed and talked and watched the sun come up, finally unloaded our stuff and agreed on a 1pm lunch time departure and all racked out. I don't think anyone had ANY trouble sleeping!!
Here's the synopsis so far. I am continuing to do the blow-by-blow and when I can hook up my computer or a memory stick to the internet, I will post it here, but the basics are-
- the food is phenominal! We have been fed very well and the choices are amazing.
- Our lodgings have also been great! It ain't the Hilton, but it's darned close. They kept saying that if we went to camp Victory, we might get to stay in one of Saddam's palaces. Wild stuff. I keep waiting for them to show me my pup tent and my pile of dirt, which I would take willingly!
- The people I am traveling with are AWESOME! With absolutely no exception, every one of them is positive, cheerful, 100% on board for every twist and turn of the schedule and plan and 3000% on board with our mission of bringing these events and something new and interesting to what everyone is calling the Groundhog Day existance of life on these bases. It really is a pleasure and an honor to be having this experience with these 14 people.
- Everyone we have come in contact with has been so gracious and so thankful of us being here. It's humbling because we're the ones who feel thankful to be here, but it really drives home how important what Trovata is trying to do, bringing exciting and interactive experiences to the troops.
- I'm having a blast.

So big hugs to you all there. Know that we're being very well taken care of over here, and we have a BBQ tonight. I'm envisioning tiki torches, pig on the spit, Mai Tais, lais, and a hula show. I'm thinking it may be a little different than that, but based on previous expectations and actual experinces, it'll probbaly be better.

BRING IT ON!
Not sure when I'll be connected again, but I'll be sure to chime in when I am.
Signing off from Northern Iraq
Anne

1 comment:

  1. Great, great and just great!! Well deserved time off on Saturday, hopefully you were able to capture some good Zzzzzz :) We're sure the BBQ was AWESOME!! Was it?
    Love Ya and many hugs!

    ReplyDelete